Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Love is in the Air

Well..it's no surprise to any of you that Valentine's Day is coming. I'm pretty sure we all know that. Some of us are happy about that, while others choose to try to forget. But none of us can ever really forget. When I was little..Valentine's day meant decorating a pretty shoebox and getting Valentines from all the kids in my class. It was required that you give one to each student so as to not let anyone feel left out. That's a pretty good policy..because some kids are cruel and would make sure some little kid didn't get any Valentine's. No wonder so many people hate this holiday. Anyways..I even remember in 6th grade..keeping the Valentine one of the boys gave me because I liked him so much. *rolls eyes* It blew up in my face in 7th grade when some girls in my class told that boy. Oh..middle school..how I DON'T miss you. I don't even remember what it said that I thought it was sooo great..other than I think it was a toy story valentine and had the words Love, (his name inserted here). Sixth grade was the last time my whole class exchanged valentines..and I was sooo glad for that.

After that age though..Valentine's Day becomes more of a romantic thing. If you didn't have a boyfriend..that meant no candy, no flowers, no card and that meant a sucky day for you. I spent most of my Valentine's Days alone without a boy and usually spent it at home. Until 10th grade..when one of my guy friends who liked me asked me out. I didn't really like him like that. But it was a good time of going to eat out and getting icecream. I also got my first flower, a pink rose, that day. I think that's when I started to hate Valentine's Day less. I mean I spent the next three Valentine's Days alone..but it was almost a day for me to be nostalgic. A day for me to look forward to when I actually had someone to share it with. Plus, my parents are notorious for giving me little things for Valentine's which always softened the blow.

Also..in the last I don't know 2 years I guess..Love has been blooming everywhere. Now..I have two possible theories for this. One being that people are just getting more loving to each other..people are just pairing up like they usually do in the springtime, but will eventually break up and that it is nothing really serious, and it might just possibly be that I'm ignorant and didn't notice it before. My second theory is that I'm at that age now where everyone I know is getting engaged and married or even just dating seriously. I am pretty sure that is at least part of it..but my cousin got married last year at 38, my brother the year before that at 31, my sister in december at 29, my best friend at age 20..now I have to ask myself see..that doesnt really seem to have to do with me being a certain age where my friends are getting married..Because most of these people were old enough awhile ago. So is it something in the air? perhaps the water? The same water that is turning all pregnancies into little baby boys? The world may never know.

All of this to say is..my boyfriend is coming for Valentine's Day..and I'm extremely excited to spend it with him on my surprise date. =) But I can always commiserate and understand why sooo many people hate it. That 6th-9th grade version of me understands completely!

Who writes,
Stefjenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I hope I lived up to the expectations from that 6th grade girl holding her valentine ;). Love you babe