Sunday, January 11, 2009

Texting..

Is it good or is it bad? It's both in my opinion. However, I find it to be mostly bad and slightly obnoxious. Let me tell you why I don't like it much and then the times where I think it is good. First of all, texting takes out the wonderfulness of an actual phone conversation. Instead of hearing someone's voice, you text an ENTIRE conversation. A five minute phone conversation becomes at least a 30 minute texting conversation. Ridiculous? I think so. Not to mention there is something nice about hearing someone's voice on the phone..especially my boyfriend or just talking to my mom about our day. Reason 2 I hate texting. Sometimes, I find that is rude and distracting. If someone in the movie theater is texting and I see their little light blinking or hear them clicking or hear the vibration..I get a little frustrated. It's okay if it is done once like maybe to tell someone they are in the movie..but seriously..the whole time? Why didnt you just bring that person along then??? Also, I think it's kind of annoying when you are trying to talk to someone and they are busy fiddling with their phone or texting someone..I had a friend like this once (we arent friends anymore for many reasons =( )..but when we would hang out I constantly felt like she would rather be talking to someone else. If you are hanging out with someone, dont text someone else the whole time. It's frustrating. Another example is this other friend of mine while we were on a trip to do mission work texted a majority of the time..making it really hard to talk or get to know them. Also, electronics were supposed to be used to a minimum. Also, texting your boyfriend or girlfriend all day long isnt romantic to me. 1) Talking on the phone and spending real quality time with each other seems betters and 2) It eventually leads to your being bored with one another b/c you've run out of things to talk about. Anyways, those are my reasons for not liking texting..I could probably keep going, but I won't.

The pros:
It's handy for when I am in class or somewhere else and have to ask someone a question and I obviously can't get on my phone right now. It's also nice if I just have one thing to say to someone such as "Had fun tonite..see you tomorrow" or something to that effect. It's also nice to get a text message in the middle of the day from my boyfriend that says "hope classes went well..love you." And there is also another pro..however, it is a pro which kind of makes us all pansies. It's when you really dont want to talk to someone- you are either afraid, don't like them, don't want to hear what they have to say, etc, etc. This is probably a bad thing- because we probably should call that person- but as a shy person and one who likes to go under the radar..I will count this as a blessing from time to time =) However, I still feel like texting is taking over the world.

Alright, so this will probably offend some people..but oh well..it's my blog and I can post my own thoughts right? School starts Tuesday. Bleck. Not even a little excited.

Who writes,
Stefjenny

3 comments:

A. said...

Well I'm not offended hehe. I know I text entirely too much lol but I agree about the movie theater thing...that bugs the socks off me.
LOVE you roomie

Anonymous said...

I agree with the movie theater thing, and with most of your pros and cons. I HATE it when people are texting in class to someone sitting two seats down...I mean, seriously?!
Also, I read this, so check me off the list and write something new!! :) Love you!

MiLkY said...

I have had texting conversations before and I don't think that they're horrible, but I do agree that they are missing something.
For me, texting is an easy way to ask a quick question, like when are you going to dinner, or when are you working, or something like that. However, people who text constantly or do it during a special time together with someone annoy the heck out of me. Tell them you'll talk to them later. It's very simple.